The town of East Hartford CT in Hartford was settled in 1635 along with other towns in the area. The town of East Hartford was formed in 1662, and the first town meeting was held in 1663. John Olmstead and his family made the first permanent settlement in East Hartford in 1670.
The town was originally a farming community, but it soon became known for its textile mills. The first mill in East Hartford was built in 1794 by Silas Deane. Other mills were later built, including the American Thread Company Mill, which was the largest thread mill in the world when it was constructed in 1849. The town also had a number of brass and ironworks, including the Jackson, Treadwell & Co., Larkin Brass Co., A.B. Cooke, and Belden & Powell. There were many quarries in the northwest section of East Hartford, where Rhode Island Avenue is now located.
The town continued to grow throughout the 19th century, and the neighborhoods of Richter’s Corners, Corbin City, Sheldonville, and Parkville were all established. By 1895, the town had over 1,000 factories.
East Hartford was one of the towns impacted by Connecticut Yankees’ desire to leave the cold, snowy winters of New England. In the early 20th century, many people from East Hartford moved to Florida. The population of East Hartford peaked in 1930 at over 59,000 people.
The town experienced a decline in population in the 20th century, as many people left for suburban areas outside of Hartford. This trend began in the 1920s and continues today. As people moved to suburbs, the commercial areas of East Hartford grew. White-collar workers settled around Chambers Street, Saint Francis Hospital (then St. Francis Hospital for Incurables) (the first Catholic hospital in Connecticut ), and other areas surrounding the commercial areas.
East Hartford was not immune to the effects of the Great Depression. The population declined by over 3,000 people from 1930 to 1940. The town’s economy was also impacted, as many of the factories closed.
The town began to rebound in the 1940s, thanks in part to the construction of the Hartford-Brainard Airport (now Bradley International Airport ). The airport brought many new jobs to the town, and the population began to grow again. The town’s economy also diversified, with new businesses opening in the area.
East Hartford is home to a number of schools, including East Hartford High School, which was founded in 1792. The town also has a number of parks, including Burnside Park and Riverside Park.
The town is also home to the Pratt & Whitney headquarters, which employs over 16,000 people. Pratt & Whitney is a leading manufacturer of jet engines.
East Hartford is a diverse town with a rich history. The town has experienced both growth and decline throughout its history, but it continues to be an important part of the Hartford metropolitan area.